Saturday, August 2, 2008

frightened by punctuation......

Saturday morning, already August, it's strangely quiet in the house I have trouble paying on time for. I'm enjoying the strangeness as later I will have to go face my little world at a shopping mall, more specifically Hot Topic. I have a love-hate affair going on with this little slice of hell. When I walk through the doors of said slice, the 80's come alive, color, shape and cheeziness run amok. It's a time warp for me. It takes me back through my life basically. I'm blissfully happy for about 5 minutes. This is how long it takes me to run the 25 yard dash back to reality. In five minutes time, I've been run into, possibly shoved, stepped on, and surrounded by teenage boys just "standing there" enchanted with the beauty that is a a music icon T-shirt. I wouldn't be bothered by this, because I too am enchanted, it's the only reason I agree to go there. I just wish they weren't so rude. Yes, I know they are hormonally challenged idiots, but really, please a little human decency is all I'm asking for. Where is all this leading....it's tax holiday weekend, meaning it's back to school shopping day, joy to the world. I only have one kid to buy for as my daughter decided she would rather go to the lake. I told her if we didn't shop today, we would not be shopping at all. The problem is, I totally understand her decision. She is like me and doesn't like to shop. The lake and friends is so much more appealing. She's a get what you came for and let's go kind of girl, unless she takes a notion. We'll shop later after school starts....yes, I will give in.

So, it will be just my 17 yo son and I for the day. It will be fairly quick and painless. He wants t-shirts and shoes. Hot Topic here we come! Then Wal-mart, yes, I have to visit purgatory today. Underwear and socks, school supplies, no tax...yep, it's unavoidable.... but having survived purgatory and mall hell, we'll celebrate with a Pepsi and gum from QT. We'll head home, call it an awesome day, then head our separate ways. Son will have a smile and I will be a little poorer.
The smile will make it all worthwhile.

Well, the strangeness has become well, just strange now, so I'm off to shower and face the madness. Peace out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give me the lake any day over a shopping trip. Yeah! And when will 'they' ever make Levis like they used to? Straight legs with real denim. It boggles my mind.
I'm going to peace out. I heard that.
Love
Liz

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

We suffered the ravages of tax-free weekend too. Sports Academy was a total zoo--if I could send the kids to school barefooted, I swear we would have left the store empty-handed and a bit more sane.

Cathy

cow punk said...

Well, thanks for stoppin by Cathy! Hey, howdy, I know all about Academy at back to school time. Not pretty.
I used to live in Alpharetta, GA. I liked it a lot in GA. I actually enjoyed shopping there.

Do you think we saved that much money? Tax is about 8% around here. I don't figure I did, but it was nice having the dollar amounts come out even.

cow punk said...

Hey there Alias, I'm glad you heard me say peace out, by gosh I meant it young lady.

Yes, I do miss real levis. They're not good now because they are made in Malaysia and an assortment of other third world countries. I don't really understand that term. Like my check book, I just can't reconcile it.

cow punk said...

Oh and Cathy, if there is a shoe carnival (and that's what it is..a carnival) near you, they have a buy one get a pair 1/2 off sale at BTS time. It's a great deal for the entire family to get new sneakers!!